Awareness is the most important way to change a system. It is especially important in a democratic set-up, where power lies with people. Awareness is important to help people judge their representatives. It enables common people to fight against corruption. Awareness makes people known about issues and laws related to public awareness. Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination. These give us the ultimate human freedom; the power to choose, to respond, to change.
It is said that “The world is not a problem; the problem is your unawareness”.Awareness is required in every field. People should be aware about health and hygiene, so that they may stay fit. They should be aware about fields and scope of different educational courses, so that they may learn in a better way. They should be aware about career opportunities, so that they may have a bright future. They should know different Government schemes and policies, so that they may get benefited. They should have the information of different laws which can help to fight against corruption, like ‘Right to Information Act’, Article 49(0) etc, so that they do not become the victim of corruption. And last, but not the least, every citizen must be aware about their rights and duties.
Keeping this in mind, Salaam Bharat has accepted public awareness as one of its dedicated area of operation, named as Jagriti. Jagriti is the back-bone of every other area of operation, as most of the works start with awareness. There are various methods to spread awareness.
- Awareness through internet
- Awareness through rallies
- Awareness through marchs
- Awareness through camps
- Awareness through seminars
- Awareness through street – plays
- Awareness through print media
- Awareness through electronic media
- Awareness through person – to – person contact
Salaam Bharat targets to spread awareness through each of the mentioned ways, in almost every field. Jagriti aims to build up a vigilant society, having key to every perplexity and solution to inquietude. It aims to empower people, so that they could not be exploited. This is the age of information, and information could be the medium to make people powerful. Power doesn’t come from the barrel of a gun, but from one's awareness of his or her own cultural strength and the unlimited capacity to empathize with, feel for, care, and love for others. For any country to develop, a sense of pride is necessary in its citizens. Salaam Bharat is also spreading awareness about India’s greatness to impregnate proud in the people of India.
Few points of India’s prosperity
- When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)
- Chess was invented in India.
- Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies, which originated in India.
- The 'Place Value System' and the 'Decimal System' were developed in India in 100 B.C.
- The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara Temple at Tanjavur, Tamil Nadu. The shikhara of the temple is made from a single 80-tonne piece of granite. This magnificent temple was built in just five years, (between 1004 AD and 1009 AD) during the reign of RajarajaChola
- India is the largest democracy in the world, the 7th largest Country in the world, and one of the most ancient civilizations
- The game of Snakes & Ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called 'Mokshapat'. The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. In time, the game underwent several modifications, but its meaning remained the same, i.e. good deeds take people to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births
- The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh. Built in 1893 after leveling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level
- India has the largest number of Post Offices in the world
- The world's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The Father of Medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago
- India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus, attracted by India's wealth, had come looking for a sea route to India when he discovered America by mistake
- The Art of Navigation & Navigating was born in the river Sindh over 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word 'NAVGATIH'. The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word 'Nou'
- Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the Sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. According to his calculation, the time taken by the Earth to orbit the Sun was 365.258756484 days
- The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the • concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, long before the European mathematicians
- Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus also originated in India. Quadratic Equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.
- The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C.during the Vedic period.Even today, the largest used number is Terra: 1012(1000000000000)
- Until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world (Source: Gemological Institute of America)
- The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982
- Sushruta is regarded as the Father of Surgery. Over2600 years ago Sushrata& his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones, plastic surgery and brain surgeries
- Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient Indian medicine. Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism,physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts
- India exports software to 90 countries
- The four religions born in India - Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world's population
- Jainism and Buddhism were founded in India in 600 B.C. and 500 B.C. respectively
- There are 300,000 active mosques in India, more than in any other country, including the Muslim world
- The largest religious building in the world is Angkor Wat, a Hindu Temple in Cambodia built at the end of the 11th century
- The Vishnu Temple in the city of Tirupathi built in the 10th century, is the world's largest religious pilgrimage destination. Larger than either Rome or Mecca, an average of 30,000 visitors donate $6 million (US) to the temple everyday
- Sikhism originated in the Holy city of Amritsar in Punjab. Famous for housing the Golden Temple, the city was founded in 1577.
- Varanasi, also known as Benaras, was called "the Ancient City" when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C., and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today
- India provides safety for more than 300,000 refugees originally from Sri Lanka, Tibet, Bhutan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh, who escaped to flee religious and political persecution
- His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, the exiled spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists, runs hisgovernment in exilefrom Dharmashala in northern India